10/09/2013

It Definitely Feels Like Autumn Wednesday Hodgepodge

Time for another Wednesday Hodgepodge presented by Joyce From This Side of the Pond. As usual, there is a smorgasbord of questions, some simple, some not so simple. Link up your blog too, or leave some answers in the Comments section below.


1. The USA will mark Columbus Day this year on Monday, October 14. What's something you need or want to explore (literally or metaphorically speaking)?

This is a hard one! I am always, always contemplating some new topic I want to learn more about such as the role of the disciple Thomas in the Gospels. I love the fact that he didn't accept what others told him, but wanted to see for himself.

2. The Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz, Ursula from The Little Mermaid, or Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty...who do you most love to hate?

The Wicked Witch of the West still creeps me out.

3. Is open-mindedness a virtue?

I think open-mindedness is a virtue as long as it is accompanied by discernment.

4. How often do you weigh yourself?

I never weigh myself because we don't have a scale, but I always know when I'm gaining weight because everything is feeling tight - like right now.

5. This question comes to you courtesy of Rebecca over at Making Memories, so thanks Rebecca! 
Costa Rica was recently named the happiest country in the world on the Happy Planet Index. What's the happiest country in the world to you, and what makes it so?


I've only ever been to the U.S. and Canada so I don't have much to go on. I have heard great things about Costa Rica, but I suppose how one defines the happiest country in the world can vary depending upon which items or conditions one chooses to quantify.

6. Besides The Bible, what is one book you think should be mandatory reading for high school students? Why?

I think To Kill a Mockingbird is a good choice. It deals with profound and challenging issues vital for teens to consider and discuss such as justice, honor, and racism.

7. I went shopping at some nearby outlets last week, and while I was there, I picked up a couple of Christmas gifts. How about you? Have you started your holiday shopping yet?

While I haven't begun shopping, I have begun thinking about what I will purchase. It's probably a good idea to start shopping now. I hate shopping when stores are crazy crowded.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

I am ahead of the game this week. Since it was my day off, I cooked enough food for four days worth of dinner and some lunches too. Hooray for me!


Image: Vichaya Kiatying-Angsulee/freedigitalphotos.net

12 comments:

  1. Would you believe the book club I'm in on Facebook just finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird? Would you also believe I'd never read it before? Somehow as a major word nerd (took every English/literature class my school offered, voracious reader, and college journalism major) I missed out on it. I very much enjoyed it, though I didn't agree with all of its points. It does get a person thinking, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very-thought provoking book and it's surprising you haven't stumbled over the book or the movie before.

      Delete
  2. TKAM is the BEST BOOK EVER!!!!!!! The movie is awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think To Kill a Mockingbird is probably the top choice this week for that question - a popular pick (and an excellent choice).

    I am in awe of your meal planning skills. I'm working on that, but not there yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don['t be too much in awe of my meal-planning skills. I just made two large dinners that could be stretched.

      Delete
  4. You don't weigh yourself - you must be thin. And I agree with you about open mindedness and discernment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah ... the first of every month I drag the scale out, straighten up my eating, and lose the pounds gained the past month so I can head to WW and weigh in. Have stayed true to this month after month for 4 1/2 years. Sometimes I want to throw up my hands and say 'forget it.'

    But, alas, I can not!!

    ;-}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so impressed you've kept your weight under control the last four years. It is so hard.

      Delete
  6. Hi Elizabeth! I always think having an open mind is always good, but not so open that my brains fall out!

    For me, Italy is #1. Great food, great history, great wine. Makes me happy just thinking about it! (but then I'd need Linda's scale, wouldn't I?)
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if you were visiting Italy, you'd probably be walking a lot and burning off all the extra calories and wouldn't need Linda's scale - but she only uses it once a month anyway!

      Delete