9/05/2011

Labor Day

I've been amused for a long time that the day the U.S. calls Labor Day is actually a day when many people have a paid holiday from work.  Oxymorons are an unending source of amusement for me.  My introduction to oxymorons came from a comedy bit by George Carlin and I'll always remember his derision about the foolishness of jumbo shrimp.


On another note, we all view Labor Day as the end of summer and the beginning of the autumn season, although here in Virginia we can have summer weather for another 4-6 weeks.  I have my misgivings about there being that much summer left because the invasion of shield bugs into the home has begun.  I've forgotten their official name, but you probably know what I mean. 


Next year when my three sons go away to college I'll have to dispose of my own shield bugs unless I wait for my husband to return home from work.  I may have to return to work full time.


This probably would have been a good place to insert a photo of one of these nasty creatures, but I can't bear to see pictures of insects that are larger than life-sized.



No comments:

Post a Comment