11/14/2012

Alert! Transition Ahead (No Joke)

Being of Polish decent, I've heard more than my share of jokes regarding my nationality, particularly when I was a single woman with a very obviously Polish last name.  Added to that, I am also blonde so that is another joke pool of which I am a part.

However, with this new and exciting transition ahead, I'm afraid I'll face an even greater glut of jokes because in 2013 for the first time I will become a mother-in-law.


That's right.  Mr. and Mrs. Transitional-Woman will be welcoming a son-in-law into our family.  He is a fine man and we are glad to enfold him into the collective family bosom.

An engagement, and subsequent enlarging of the family, wasn't one of the transitions we expected this year, but it is a joyful tiding and we're looking forward to getting to know our future son-in-law better in the crazily busy months we're expecting to live through during the remainder of 2012 and the first quarter of 2013.

Long before any of our children were of marriageable age, I prayed that I would love my future children-in-law as much as I love my birth children.  I don't want to be one of those mother-in-laws who is critical and interfering, but one who is supportive, loving and encouraging.

So if you know any good mother-in-law jokes, please feel free not to share them with me, but I am open to all the good advice you have to offer.

3 comments:

  1. My oldest daughter (now 21) was married off in June. She married her one and only boyfriend, after courting him for just over a year. They are amazing together and I couldn't be a happier mother-in-law. Enjoy this time and remember to breath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to all!! How exciting!! (this is funny, I'm of Polish descent too; 100% Polish; my dad born there, emigrated here after WW2 and my mom is first generation American; her parents came over from Poland in the early 1900s; my maiden name ends with "ski" and is 10 letters long, LOL :)

    But back to being a mother-in-law. Wise to have prayed about it from an early age! Best advice I can give you, based on my relationship with my MIL, which wasn't the best one, is to keep your mouth shut about key issues and let the young couple "leave and cleave" so to speak.

    Lots of exciting days ahead for your family; enjoy them all!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!

    Well, I can't give you any advice on being a mother-in-law. I am blessed to have 2 mother-in-laws! One thing that I love about my first mother-in-law is that she is very practical and supportive. My second mother-in-law never said anything (she was a very quiet person.) I'm not sure if that's good or not!

    ReplyDelete