4/28/2012

The Y Addiction

I keep putting off writing this because once I put it out here in blogland, I'll have to own up to a burgeoning problem.  Like most addictions, it started slowly.  It made me feel good.  I only did it sometimes.  No one was getting hurt.  It wasn't affecting my life negatively.  The rich, vibrant colors, the incredible, sensual textures were mind blowing.  I could control it.

I think I'm addicted to yarn.

Image source
At first, I only bought yarn when I needed it.  New project, new yarn.  Then I started needing more, a lot more.  New projects beckoned - a couple of sweaters, hats, learning to knit socks so I had to buy sock yarn, and anyway the yarn was on sale and I'm going to use it eventually and the color is so perfect for me and if I order $60 worth I'll get free shipping.

I have two plastic bins where I store my stash.  They're in my closet, in the back.  I'm not hiding them, just keeping them out of everyone's way.  Besides, the yarn in one of them was given to me by a friend who had more yarn than she could use in a lifetime, I was just helping her by taking it off her hands.

Then my local yarn store had a winter clearance and yarn I needed to make a blanket was on sale.  I had to buy it, I'd be saving a ton of money.  And while I was there I spied a peacock blue, soft, fuzzy mohair that would knit up into a gorgeous wrap.  But they didn't have a color that would work for the blanket's border.  So I had to go online and order that because I can't make a blanket without a border and if I order $60 worth, I get free shipping.

Two weeks ago the yarn store owner, Robyn (we're on first name basis now), sent an email announcing that she was carrying cotton sock yarn which isn't easy to find and it was produced by a local company and the media keeps urging everyone to buy local, so actually I am supporting to two local businesses by buying the yarn.  The colors are beautiful.  I'm not hurting anyone.  It makes me feel good ....

Approaching the finish line for the Blogging A to Z Challenge, today we have Y.




18 comments:

  1. You are not alone! I can't resist a bargain and free shipping Oh that is glorious! Today I ordered some vitamins and if you ordered more you got free shipping - so -- now I have a nice stash. How to use up all that yarn? Guideposts has a knitting project of sweaters for those who live in cold parts of the world. My friend meets with other knitters once a week and she knits as gifts for her friends. She gave me a beautiful scarf when my mother passed away (instead of flowers). God has an addiction too. He csn't help smileing at us in our silliness. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knitting isn't just a hobby, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

      Delete
  2. I love yarn too! I don't have a huge stash like yours but there is some that is sitting for a while. I love the beautiful colour! Feast for the eyes! This yarn addiction is a good thing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a good thing. I'm glad you understand.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! makes me want to by yarn and I can't even knit!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could just buy some yarn to hold and look at.

      Delete
  4. I agree with fab4 lol! I'm topping by from the A-Z challenge and following now too. This has been so much fun hasn't it? Have a great weekend and a great final challenge day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yarn is not an addiction, LOL, it is a necessity!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, kind of like my obsession with nice papers but I think your is a lot more useful - like it can actually be made into something that warms people up. For me, I just keep the papers locked in my drawer and I take them out to touch them occasionally :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is your nice paper for making cards or scrapbooking, or is your nice paper for writing? All of those are productive pursuits too.
      Laughed at you touching your paper. I take out my yarn to look at and touch too!

      Delete
  7. I love the colors you've chosen! Beautiful! Sadly, I have not yet caught the knitting bug. I tried a few years back, but couldn't quite get the hang of it. Your pictures of all that beautiful yarn, though, kinda make me want to try it out again. If you post pics of your finished pieces it may just send me over the edge...
    (-:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a huge (2 million people) knitting and crocheting online community called Ravelry with 100s of groups to join. You should try picking up those needles again and join us. I am epm50 on Rav.
      I would love to post pics of my knitting, but I'm a pretty slow knitter, it takes me a while to finish anything.

      Delete
  8. Love yarn and although I can knit and crochet thanks to my nana i'm afraid i don't do it any more. I spend many a day helping my nana winding yarn into balls since that's how she liked her yarn when she was doing her projects. I have my afghan which is in tatters from my childhood from so much loving! She loved the bright colors as you do Elizabeth.
    Enjoyed meeting you during this challenge, going to add you to my reader so we can keep up with each other after we've completed this challenge. Thanks for reminding me about May 7th!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're already on my reader Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am the same with cross stitch patterns and quilting material, although for now I ahve learnt to not go to material shops and to stay away from online auctions of patterns. However now I ahve turned to candy and so my addiction continues just ahs a new platform.....will it ever end!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like me and books. I mean, I have every intention of reading every book that I buy. It's just that, you know, when you're writing full time and juggling a small press you don't exactly have the time to you know...read. So I have this huge collection of books that need to be read and I swear I'm not going to buy any more but the sequel to this one book just came out and I need to get that one bestseller because it's all the rage and it just makes me feel so good buying a book... Hey, at least it's a lot cheaper than buying shoes. Right?

    ReplyDelete