Planning a move? Having a baby? Deciding what college to attend? Are you an aspiring author? Becoming a step parent? Has someone you love died? We all need support.
If you are going through a transition, here is a short list of support suggestions. Not all of them will be applicable for every situation.
- Find someone to talk to. A shared burden always feels a little lighter.
- Ask for help, don't be afraid, don't feel ashamed.
- Let people know specifically what you need. Others aren't always aware of what type of help would benefit you most.
- Go online. Depending what your transition is, the information you need to make the best decision may be a Google search away and you just might find a forum full of experts to consult or a great online group to join.
- Get help from a professional. I don't just mean spiritual or medical help, but hire a home organizer if you need to whip your house into shape in order to sell it.
- Look for a support group in your area. Do you have a special needs child, an alcoholic parent, a physical handicap? There are support groups available for all these situations and more.
- Reciprocate. If you know others facing a change or challenge similar to yours, perhaps looking for a job, help each other by exchanging job tips and networking information or reviewing each others resumes.
You don't have to fight your battles, move your mountains or swim upstream alone. Look for support and in turn, when you are able, provide support for others.
What suggestions would you add to the list?