4/06/2012

Eat That Frog!

This has got to be the craziest book title, ever.  I kept hearing about the book (written by Brian Tracy) in January, probably because it deals with overcoming procrastination and this has got to be pretty high on the New Year's Resolution list. It is at my house, anyway.

Apparently, my family isn't alone in wanting to get over this debilitating habit/problem/character flaw because I had to wait two months before Eat That Frog! was finally available from my library system.  Either a lot of other procrastinators live in my county, or the person who fills the book hold requests in my library system has a problem with procrastination as well and decided to read the book before sending it on to me.

Back to that crazy title.  Here's where Tracy got the idea, "Mark Twain once said that if the first thing you do each morning is to eat a live frog, you can go through the day with the satisfaction of knowing that that is probably the worst thing that is going to happen to you all day long."

Tracy goes on to say that if we do the most important, biggest, hardest, worst thing first every day, it will eventually become a habit and we will be on our way to overcoming procrastination.

He doesn't promise miracles, but he does have a lot of practical advice. Some of the topics he covers include habit, planning, motivation, technology and scheduling.

Although I very excited about what I've read so far, I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I haven't even finished chapter 1 yet.  Could procrastination have anything to do with it?  Procrastinating about reading a book about procrastination?

I think I might need an intervention.

Are you a non-procrastinator?  Do you have any tips to share with me?
Are you a procrastinator?  Maybe you should read the book too and we can encourage each other to eat our frog.

Image source


5 comments:

  1. I see on your Goodreads Reading Challenge that you've already read 22 books this year. I don't think you are procrastinating too much on your reading! :) Eat That Frog sounds like a practical book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am I a procrastinator? I'll get back to you on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, am a procrastinator and I've heard of the book but never picked it up. Now I think I might have to...someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a procrastinator for things that I have no desire to do but MUST do. Like, dishes or something stupid at work. Something where I can be creative? I'll do right now to help procrastination for all the other things that I have no desire to do.
    I don't know if that counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never, ever procrastinate about doing things I want to do, either. It's just everything else...

      Delete