2/07/2012

It's All About the Plan

Fourteen bananas are decomposing in my refrigerator.  Every time I open up the fridge, I can smell them.  I planned to make banana bread on Saturday, but that didn’t happen.   

I sort of forgot about them on Sunday, but then again I don’t usually bake on Sundays.  And then Monday came, which is always busy.  The bananas are still there and  I have to do something about them TODAY, or I’ll be sorry. 

Those bananas used to be jammed in the freezer because that’s where we toss unwanted bananas that languish on the counter slowly turning brown.

And you might be wondering, “What does this have to do with anything about life, transitions, plans or anything significant at all?” and “Who cares about you and your dumb bananas?

There is a point, and the bananas are my illustration.  That point is, you have to have a plan.  I knew I’d be busy Saturday and Monday and I knew I wouldn’t bake on Sunday, so I should have kept those guys stuffed in the freezer for a few more days.  I didn't have a plan.

And when you’re facing a life change, I mean a change you are expecting -  because some life changes come out of nowhere -  you need a plan.

It’s easy to let weeks go by, being occupied with all the things in life that keep us busy, and not make plans to handle impending life changes.  If you know you’re having a baby in six months, you know you have to buy baby gear and get prepared.  You don’t wait until you’re waddling along during month nine to get things ready.

Do you see a big change on your horizon like unemployment, empty nest, elder-care, divorce, new baby,  returning to school?  What’s your plan?  What do you have to change about life as you know it in order to adapt?  What changes can you anticipate and provide for?

Of course, you can’t anticipate every situation and possible outcome about that impending life change, but you can start to plan.  You can research, seek support, and discuss it with others who are involved and elicit their help.  

Are there any big, life-changing events in your future?  What are they?  How are you preparing to meet them?  I'd like to hear about it.


No comments:

Post a Comment