10/27/2011

The Cooking Continues

I'm not sure about the yogurt adventure.  When I looked at it this morning is was very liquid-like.  It's in the refrigerator now where I am hoping it will thicken.  I would post a picture, but it just looks like vaguely thick milk.  Not very exciting.


Regarding pumpkin butter:  while looking for information on how to adapt the pumpkin butter recipe I was given into a recipe using low sugar pectin I came across information stating that pumpkin butter should not be hot water bath processed and stored at room temperature.  Due to being a low-acid fruit there is a danger of botulism.  As you know, I am trying to not poison my family, so I am still making pumpkin butter today, but it is in the slow cooker at the moment and the resulting pumpkin butter will be stored in the freezer instead. 


Sad, sad.  I wanted to see all of my cute little canning jars lined up and filled with good things in the pantry.


If I have the time and energy I plan to make granola this afternoon.  I've used a great recipe from this book lots of times and it makes the best granola in the world (no exaggeration).

1 comment:

  1. I don't know where my old yogurt recipe went. I should really try to find it. You are inspirational! I'm sure the pumpkin butter will be just as good in the freezer. What do you eat your pumpkin butter on?

    ReplyDelete