8/06/2012

Olympic Fever

Are you as addicted to the Summer Olympics as I am?  I don't know what it is, but once I begin watching, I cannot tear myself away.
Image
My favorite event so far is two on two volley ball.  I love it!  Because I normally watch in the evening, I've mainly seen swimming, diving and gymnastics competitions.  It's been exciting to watch world records broken and the beaming smiles on the winners' faces.  Their commitment and passion makes me want to dedicate myself to a sport and be a winner too.

Then I remembered the Senior Olympics.  Several months ago a friend of mine said she was interested in competing in the Senior Olympics but I thought she was joking.  I didn't even know they existed.

So, of course in the midst of my Olympic fever, I googled the Senior Olympics last night.  Sure enough the Senior Olympics does exist and no, it's not just for senior citizens, vibrant people in the prime of their life 50 years and older can be Senior Olympians.

Here's my chance, I thought and began scanning the list of events.  Since I've done some weight training at the gym I figured that might work for me, but sadly, there are no weight lifting categories for the Seniors.

This was a quandary.   I'm not particularly athletic and haven't pursued any real sport throughout my life.  But I examined the list hopefully.

Golf?  No, I've never picked up a golf club except for miniature golf and I've never shown any particular talent for that.

Swimming?  No, not that.  When I was a little girl at a family picnic one of my uncles dunked me in a lake.  I couldn't swim and swallowed gallons of water.  Never quite gotten over my fear of the water, so swimming is a no go.
Image

Archery?  Definitely not.  Tried it in college for a required P.E. credit because I virtuously believed I should try something I'd never done before.  The only other P.E. class available in that time slot was badminton, which I could play fairly well.  Unfortunately, I showed no ability in archery whatsoever.   I took the class the last semester of my senior year and as the weeks rolled by it looked like I was going to fail the class because I couldn't hit a bulls eye.

My prof worked with me and we tried every trick in her bag of archery tricks.  Nothing worked.  I couldn't even hit the target most of the time.  Was I going to miss my university graduation because I'd failed archery?  Oh, the humiliation.  I spoke to my professor and begged her to pass me.  A D-grade was fine, I didn't care, I just needed to pass.  I have never ceased to remember her with deep gratitude.  She gave me a C.

So, anyway, archery was out of the question too.

Image
I finally narrowed down the choices.  I could try cycling, but I'll need to buy a bike first and then train.  Because although I can't swim, I do know how to ride a bike.

Pickle ball was another option, but what the heck is pickle ball?  Googled that, too.  Apparently it's like badminton but played with ping pong kind of paddles and a ball like a wiffle ball and a net.  That might work, but who would I practice with?  And where?  And how would we learn to play?  So maybe not pickle ball.
Image

Then I saw it.  My old friend badminton.  It seems like a pathetic choice.   I had visions of my toned body and strong muscles wowing the spectators, but unless the rules of badminton have changed dramatically, there's no way I'll be showing off much athletic prowess in that competition.

I might have to rethink my Senior Olympics plan, but darn!  I really want to visit Cleveland and that's where the games will be played in 2013.





2 comments:

  1. Now that you're no longer homeschooling, you should be able to devote 8-10 hours a day to badminton training, right? I'm sure you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. Because I have nothing else to do, of course.

      Delete